Thursday, September 3, 2015

the final frontier

When I think about a place I want to visit, the first thing that comes to my mind is Alaska. Everyone I told about this thinks I'm crazy or something like that, and maybe it is a bit true, but I have a thing for remote places, far away from everyone and everything. Traveling to Alaska is one of my biggest dreams, but I don't want to travel for a few days and take some photos, what I want to do is live there, and make an anthropology career there.

To be more specific, I want to be a visual ethnographer, I want to publish and travel, and isolated places are so interesting, also I'm really into Inuit culture. I think I could do a lot of things there.

Anchorage is the city where I would like to live. When you hear about Alaska you probably think about a place in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by bears and wild animals who could eat you alive, well there are some places like that, but that isn't everything. Anchorage is a big city, like any other, it has the same things that a place like Santiago has, but in contact with the nature. There are the big universities, and of course, the Alaska Association of Anthropology.

I would like to have a home trailer to travel everywhere, from Anchorage to more isolated and rural places, to keep moving is a important part of my life, I would say that I'm something like a modern nomad, because I usually spent little time in one place. For example, I'm from Iquique and came to Santiago to study, but before that I keep moving from house to house, so I'm really used to be on the road, and that's how I like to live.

But Alaska, the final frontier, is the ultimate goal. And now that I'm in my fourth year at university, I'm a little closer.




4 comments:

  1. Valentina On The Road. I think you're crazy for wanting to live there, but I think it's a great kind of crazy. I think you are definitely going to make it, and you are going to be a great anthropologist, eventhough you hated my post in my blog.
    I wish you the best, and I will to visit you there to get to know Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaska is really cute, I would visit if given the opportunity and see the final frontier .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could see the northern lights if you traveled north. Couldn't you? That must be something

    ReplyDelete